Over the past couple of decades, through (a few too many) hours of experience on the Internet, I've come to develop my own set of "do's and don'ts". Just to put everyone's minds at ease, and maybe explain the odd thing here and there, this is what I'm referring to:
1. Living People. In the interests of respecting people's privacy, I tend to refer to people by their initials instead of their full names from time to time. And I never show anyone's photo unless I have their permission first.
Admittedly, this could get difficult if I post an old photo that includes someone who is still living. (i.e. say a photo from the 1930's) In that case I will likely just not identify the person, or maybe use their initial. And, should that person ask me to remove it still, I will respect their request immediately.
2. Source Citation I will do my best to provide the source of the information I use on this blog. Admittedly over the years I have accumulated alot of information and photographs that I saved just for my own personal use, and didn't always write down the source. In the event that someone runs across something that they know the source for, I'd appreciate knowing so I can give credit where credit is due.
3. Photographs I have been honored to be given (and inherit) a very large number of old photographs and documents in recent years. I take very good care of these items, and am working diligently to clean, repair, and preserve them. When I do post a photo on here from that collection, it will likely include a watermark, and be at a reduced scale (300-400 pixels) in the interests of file size. However, as I have told virtually everyone I correspond with, particularly family members, if you are interested in having a higher resolution copy of any image, please just contact me and I would be more than happy to share.
And of course, while I'd like to abide by my rule of "if you haven't got something good to say about someone, then say nothing at all".... but that might be tricky when it comes to telling some of the more intriguing stories of our lives. It's hard to say something nice about a murderer, for example. (LOL) But I will do my utmost best.
Next up... a story. I need to find just the right one to whet your appetites for more !
No comments:
Post a Comment